Spicy Sausage and Cheddar Yeast Rolls
With his passion for bread, Bill Ryan, founder of the Louisiana Dutch Oven Society, is always looking for different ways to create a great tasting roll. After tasting your first one, you will quickly be grabbing for more!
Prep Time1.5 hours
Cook Time20 minutes
Cook it With Our
- 1/2 pound ground andouille or bulk Italian sausage
- 1 cup minced yellow onion
- 1 tablespoon minced jalapeño chile (remove seeds for less heat)
- 1, 1/4 ounce package active dry yeast
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons (plus 1 teaspoon) vegetable oil
- 2 cups warm water (about 100 degrees)
- 6 cups bread flour
- 3/4 cup yellow corn meal
- 2 tablespoons sea salt
- 2 cups (8 ounces) grated white cheddar cheese
- Brown the sausage in a 12 Inch Skillet over medium heat until fully cooked. Add the onion and jalapeño and cook, stirring a few times, for 3 minutes. Transfer the mixture to a paper towel-lined plate to drain and cool to room temperature.
- In a small bowl, combine the yeast, sugar, and 2 tablespoons of the oil. Add the water. Mix about 4 minutes to dissolve the yeast.
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, all but 2 tablespoons of the corn meal, the salt, sausage mixture, and cheese. Mix until it lightly comes together, then add the yeast mixture and mix until the dough pulls from the side of the bowl and forms a ball. Remove the dough from the bowl. Coat the bowl with the remaining 1 teaspoon oil, return the dough to the bowl, and turn it to oil all sides. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and let the dough rise in a warm area (around 70-75 degrees Fahrenheit) until doubled in size, about 2 hours.
- Turn the dough onto a lightly floured work surface. Using your hands, gently roll it into a narrow loaf about 24 inches long. Cut the dough across into 18 equal pieces. With the palm of your hand, roll each piece into a round roll. Sprinkle the bottom of a 7 Quart Dutch Oven with the reserved corn meal. Place the rolls in a single layer in the pot, spacing them 1 inch apart, cover with a clean cloth, and let rise for 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Using a sharp knife, make an X on top of each roll. Bake until golden brown, about 20 minutes. Enjoy warm from the oven.