Pan-fried Catfish Cakes
This recipe transforms fried catfish leftovers into a plate of tasty pan-fried catfish cakes. Serve them alongside a creamy white Come Back sauce for an unforgettable seafood meal.
Prep Time5-10 minutes
Cook Time10 minutes
Cook it With Our
- 1 sleeve premium saltine crackers
- 2 tablespoons butter
- ¼ cup finely diced onion
- ¼ cup finely diced yellow bell pepper
- ¼ cup chopped scallions
- 8 fried catfish fillets
- 4 large eggs, beaten
- 4 teaspoons Tabasco sauce
- 4 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- ¼ cup olive oil
Come Back Sauce
- 1 tablespoon grated onion (use the large holes on a box grater)
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon prepared chili sauce
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- In a food processor, grind the crackers to crumbs and pour into a shallow bowl.
- In a medium cast iron skillet, melt the butter over medium heat. Add the onion, bell pepper, and scallions and cook, stirring, until tender.
- In a medium bowl, with your fingers or the back of a fork, mash the leftover catfish fillets into bits. Add the beaten eggs, Tabasco, and Worcestershire and season to taste with salt and pepper. Add the onion mixture and blend well. Pat the catfish mixture into disks about 2 ½ inches wide and 1 ½ inches thick. Gently dredge the cakes in the cracker crumbs, coating well on both sides.
- Gradually heat a 12 Inch Skillet over medium-high heat and add the oil. Gently place the catfish cakes in the hot skillet and cook them until golden brown on both sides (you may need to do this in 2 batches). Drain on a paper bag and serve with Come Back Sauce.
Come Back Sauce:
- In a medium bowl, mix all the ingredients together. If it is too thick to drizzle, add 1 tablespoon water to thin. It will keep in the refrigerator, tightly covered, about 2 weeks.