Braised Lamb with Carrots
Braised lamb? Count us in! Garnish this braised lamb and carrots with sliced, seasoned apples for some extra flair. Serve over polenta for a mouthwatering meal.
Prep Time20 minutes
Cook Time2 hours 50 minutes
Cook it With Our
- 2, 1.5 pounds of lamb shanks
- 1 teaspoon allspice, ground
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 3 carrots, peeled, chopped
- 4 shallots, peeled, halved
- 1/4 cup rosemary, chopped fine
- 1 cup (plus 2 tablespoons) balsamic vinegar, divided
- 2-3 cups water
- 1 red apple, sliced
- Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Polenta, for serving
- Season the lamb with allspice, salt, and pepper. Add the oil to a 6 Quart Enameled Cast Iron Dutch Oven over medium-high heat and sear the lamb to a deep brown color on all sides, 12-15 minutes. Remove the lamb from the pot and reserve for later.
- Add the carrots and shallots and cook slightly, 5 minutes. Add the rosemary and cook until fragrant, 2-3 minutes.
- Deglaze the pot with 1 cup balsamic vinegar, add the lamb back to the pot, and cover with enough water that the lamb is covered ¾ of the way up. Cover with the lid and braise the lamb until tender, 2.5-3 hours.
- For the garnish, season the apple with the remaining vinegar, salt, and pepper. Plate the lamb either bone-in or off the bone, garnish with sliced apples, and serve right away.