Winter Root Vegetable Chili
This hearty chili is filled with winter root vegetables and packed with flavor. For best results, make this chili at least one day ahead.
To store the chili, cool, cover, and refrigerate for up to three days. Rewarm over medium heat and check the seasoning before serving.
Prep Time15 minutes
Cook Time45 minutes
Cook it With Our
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 medium garlic cloves, very finely chopped
- 2 large red, yellow, and/or orange bell peppers, seeded and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 4 small parsnips, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 2 large carrots, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 medium sweet potato or 1 small winter squash, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt, plus more to taste
- 2 tablespoons ground ancho or chipotle chile powder
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon smoked paprika
- 1 cup amber ale
- 1 1/2 cups cups vegetable juice, such as V8
- 1 (14-ounce) can fire-roasted diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 (15-ounce) can hominy, rinsed and drained
- 2 (15-ounce) cans black beans, rinsed and drained
- Orange wedges, sour cream, and corn chips, for serving
- Gradually heat the oil in a 3 Quart Enameled Cast Iron Dutch Oven over medium-high heat. Add the onion and cook, stirring often, until softened, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic, bell peppers, parsnips, carrots, sweet potato, and salt and cook, stirring often, until the vegetables begin to soften, about 8 minutes.
- Add the ground chile, cumin, coriander, cinnamon, and paprika and cook, stirring constantly, for 3 minutes. Reduce the heat if the spices begin to scorch.
- Add the ale and vegetable juice. Stir to scrape up the browned glaze from the bottom of the pot. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat, partially cover the pot, and simmer until the vegetables are almost tender, about 8 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in the tomatoes, hominy, and beans. Simmer until heated through, about 8 minutes.
- Season to taste with salt. Serve warm with the oranges, sour cream, and chips on the side.