Smoky Campfire Paella
The wok part of the Cook-It-All makes a great vessel for campfire paella: it has the depth to hold all the ingredients, but still allows you to get the crust a classic paella is known for. "The two separate cooking pieces make this complicated dish super easy, " says Derek Wolf, of Over the Fire Cooking.
Prep Time20 minutes
Cook Time60 minutes
Cook it With Our
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 1 cup water
- 1 teaspoon saffron
- 3 chicken thighs, diced
- 2 links of chorizo, sliced
- 3 slices of bacon, chopped
- 1/2 pound of shrimp, de-veined
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, divided
- 1 cup diced onion
- 4 garlic cloves, minced, divided
- 1 cup diced red bell peppers
- 1 can peas
- 1 cup diced cherry tomatoes
- 3 cups paella rice
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon smoked paprika
- 1 cup white wine
- 2 whole lobster tails, halved
- 1 cup chopped parsley, divided
- 1/2 pound of mussels, de-bearded
- 4 lemon wedges
- Create a medium size fire to fit the Cook-It-All, separated into the wok side and the lid piece. When fire begins to start breaking down (wood becomes white hot), add wok to preheat for 2-3 minutes.
- In a bowl, add chicken stock, water, and saffron and let soak for 10 minutes.
- Add chicken, chorizo, & bacon to wok and cook for 5 minutes. Add shrimp to grill and cook for 1 minute per side. Once meat is cooked, pull off and set aside.
- Add 2 tablespoons butter to empty wok, then sauté onions, ¾ of the garlic, & bell peppers till they soften (about 3-4 minutes). Add peas, tomatoes & paella rice and stir often in order to let rice toast (2-3 minutes). Finally, add chicken stock mixture from above, chorizo, chicken, bacon, salt, pepper, smoked paprika & white wine and let simmer uncovered. Cook out all the liquid, stirring occasionally only at the beginning and let sit in order to create crust. *NOTE: Make sure to cook this at a medium heat in order to prevent burning.
- While paella is cooking, preheat grill over fire and place lobster tails on flesh side down. Cook for 2 minutes per side or until flesh it completely white. Add 1 tablespoon butter, remaining garlic, and parsley on top of lobster for added flavor if desired.
- As paella is finishing, top it with mussels, lemon wedges, shrimp, and lobster tails. Place other half of the Cook-It-All grill-side-up on top and let cook for 2 minutes.
- Pull grill plate off, discard any unopened mussels, garnish with parsley, squeeze any leftover lemons on top and serve!