Shrimp Pesto Pizza
Mozzarella cheese, basil pesto, and juicy shrimp adorn crisp pizza dough in this delicious seafood recipe. A dash of lemon zest brings out the flavors for a meal you won't forget.
Prep Time20 minutes
Cook Time20 minutes
Cook it With Our
- 3 cups bread flour, divided
- 1 packet (1/4 ounces) active dry rapid-rise yeast
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons honey
- 1 1/4 cups lukewarm water
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Basil for garnish
- Red pepper flakes for garnish
- Flour for dusting
- Semolina or cornmeal for dusting
- 1 pound large shrimp tails, removed, peeled, and deveined (16 count)
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/2 cup toasted pine nuts
- 3/4 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 5 cups fresh basil leaves
- 1/3 - 2/3 cup olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
(This recipe makes enough for two pizzas)
- In a large mixing bowl, mix ½ cup flour with yeast and salt. Dissolve honey in lukewarm water and add to mixture. Add olive oil.
- In the bowl of a mixer, or using a wooden spoon, mix for 3 minutes. Mix in remaining flour (dough should be only slightly sticky.)
- Knead dough on a floured surface until smooth, approximately 5 minutes.
- Place dough in a lightly oiled bowl and cover with plastic wrap. Let rise for 10 minutes in a warm place.
- Punch dough down and divide in half. Allow to rise for 10 additional minutes. Punch down and spread one of the halves by hand or roller onto your Lodge Baking Pan.
- Add toppings of your choice and place in a preheated 450 degree F oven for 8-10 minutes, or until crust is golden brown. Cool 2-3 minutes before cutting or serving.
- Preheat oven to 475 degrees Fahrenheit. Heat 14.5 inch skillet over medium heat, 5 minutes. Add butter, garlic, and lemon zest, cook 1 minute. Add shrimp and cook 1 minute per side. Remove from pan and set aside.
- Wipe skillet clean with a paper towel, then dust with semolina or cornmeal
- Roll or toss dough into a 13-inch circle on a floured surface, a cornmeal lined pizza peal, or a cutting board. Slide onto skillet. Spread pesto on pizza dough, leaving room for the crust. Sprinkle with a thin layer of cheese. Top with shrimp and roasted garlic. Sprinkle with more cheese.
- Brush crust with olive oil and sprinkle with parmesan. Bake for 12-15 minutes. Sprinkle with crushed red pepper, if desired.
(This recipe makes enough pesto for two pizzas)
- Pulse pine nuts, parmesan, garlic, salt, and basil in a food processor until combined. Slowly add olive oil until pesto becomes smooth.