Sausage & Peppers
When you add the spice of Italian sausage to the tang of capers and the sweetness of blistered bell peppers, you get a mouthful of flavor with each bite. This recipe is guaranteed to become a new dinner favorite.
Prep Time15 minutes
Cook Time45 minutes
Cook it With Our
- ½ cup olive oil, divided
- Red bell peppers, stemmed, seeded, and cut in half
- 2 yellow bell peppers, setmmed, seeded, and cut in half
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 4 links sweet Italian sausage
- 5 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 2 tablespoon nonpareil capers, roughly chopped
- ½ teaspoon cayenne
- 2 tablespoons basil, roughly chopped
- Basil leaves, for garnish
- Toasted brioche buns for serving
- Heat 2 tablespoons of oil. Season the peppers with salt and pepper and blister*, 6-7 minutes. Transfer the peppers to a bowl and cover with plastic wrap. Let the peppers sweat for 10 minutes. When cool enough to handle, remove the skin.
- Thinly slice ⅓ of the peppers and set aside. In a high-speed blender, add the remaining peppers. While the motor is running, add ¼ cup of oil. Combine the pureed pepper mixture with the sliced peppers.
- Heat remaining 2 tablespoons of oil and sear the sausage to a deep brown color, 10-12 minutes. Let sausage rest for 5 minutes, then slice on a bias.
- Add garlic to the same skillet and cook until fragrant, 3 minutes. Add crushed tomatoes, capers, and pepper mixture. Simmer for 15 minutes. Place the sliced sausage on top and garnish with chopped basil. Serve sausages with toasted buns.
*Pro Tip: Sauté bell peppers over medium-high heat, and once they’ve almost cooked through, crank the flame to high and cook the peppers until the skin chars. Cover them after they’ve cooked to easily remove the skin.