A soft fried egg atop flavorful chorizo and beans and garnished with fresh cilantro and lime is a tasty way to start the weekend. Nothing says brunch quite like homemade huevos rancheros. Here’s how we like to prepare this Mexican classic.
Prep Time5-8 minutes
Cook Time10 minutes
Cook it With Our
- 4 corn tortillas
- 1/2 can refried beans
- 1/4 pound of chorizo, ground
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 4 eggs
- 1/4 cup salsa
- Avocado slices
- Lime wedges
- Preheat Double Play Reversible Grill / Griddle over low to medium heat for 3-4 minutes.
- Brush lightly with cooking oil and add the tortillas, flipping once until crispy and slightly puffy.
- Set 2 tortillas on each plate. Spoon a layer of refried beans onto each tortilla.
- Mix half the cilantro with the chorizo. Cook on the griddle for 6-8 minutes. and then place atop the refried beans.
- Crack eggs onto remaining chorizo grease and cook to desired texture (we recommend over-easy).
- Place 1 egg atop each layered tortilla. Serve with salsa, remaining cilantro, avocado and a squeeze of fresh lime.
- When frying eggs, always be sure to let the bottom set before attempting to flip. A thin metal spatula works great, and is perfectly safe on cast iron cookware.