These cranberry scones have a delightful texture and crunch thanks to the addition of sesame seeds in the batter. The best part? You can eat them all week! Get that just-baked freshness when you cut the scone in half, re-heat it in a toaster oven, and serve with butter and jam.
Prep Time15 minutes
Cook Time15 minutes
Cook it With Our
- 1 cup dried cranberries
- 1 1/2 cups buttermilk
- 1 large egg
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup turbinado sugar
- 6 tablespoons white sesame seeds
- 4 tablespoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon allspice, ground
- 1/4 teaspoon cardamom, ground
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter, cold, cubed, plus more for greasing
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Whisk cranberries, 1 cup buttermilk, and egg. Set aside for later.
- Separately whisk flour, sugar, sesame seeds, baking powder, allspice, cardamom, and salt until fully incorporated.
- Using a pastry cutter, cut butter into the flour mixture to pea-sized pieces. Add to the wet ingredients until a dough forms. If the dough is too crumbly to hold together, add more buttermilk, one tablespoon at a time until the dough just comes together when pressed.
- Divide the dough amongst the wedges of a greased scone pan. Bake until edges are golden brown, 15-17 minutes.
- Let scones sit for 5-10 minutes, then gently flip the pan to release the scones. Cool on wire rack before serving.