Chocolate Olive Oil Cake
Want to know the secret ingredient that makes this cake light and fluffy? Vinegar! While it may be tart on its own, its addition to the batter elevates the texture of this rich chocolate cake so you don't feel too guilty having just one more piece.
Prep Time20 minutes
Cook Time15 minutes
Cook it With Our
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup (plus two tablespoons) unsweetened cocoa powder, divided
- 1 1/2 cups (plus 2 tablespoons) coconut sugar, divided
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup olive oil, divided, plus more for greasing
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 cup dark chocolate chips
- flaked salt for garnish
- fresh berries for serving
- Preheat oven to 350 ºF.
- Whisk flour, ¾ cup cocoa powder, 1½ cups coconut sugar, baking soda, and salt until full incorporated. Mix in ½ cup oil, water, and vinegar until batter just forms but no lumps remain. Divide batter by pouring halfway up each of the 7 greased mini cake pans and bake 15-20 minutes.
- While the cakes bake, make the chocolate glaze: In a double boiler*, melt dark chocolate, 2 tablespoons of cocoa powder, 2 tablespoons of coconut sugar, and the remaining ¼ cup oil. Mix until smooth and keep warm until serving.
- Gently flip the pan to remove cakes and let cool slightly on a wire rack. Cover the cakes with chocolate glaze on the rack—or tableside when serving. Serve cakes with flaked salt and fresh berries.