Black Pepper Skillet Shrimp
Put an Indian twist on your seared shrimp with fresh ginger and black peppercorns! Recipe author Julie Sahni suggests serving it with a green salad and sweet dinner rolls, “to mop up those spicy juices,” or a fragrant rice pilaf studded with raisins.
Prep Time15 minutes
Cook Time5 minutes
Cook it With Our
- 1 pound large shrimp
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons peeled and shredded fresh ginger
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cracked black peppercorns
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- Juice of half a lime
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt, or to taste
- 2 tablespoons thinly sliced scallion greens
- Peel and devein the shrimp, leaving the last shell segment and tail fin intact.
- Heat the oil in a cast iron skillet over high heat until very hot, about 3 minutes. Add the ginger and cook, stirring, until the shreds turn light brown and caramelized, about 2 minutes. Stir in the coriander, peppercorns, and sugar and let heat for 15 seconds.
- Add the shrimp and cook, shaking and tossing, until they turn pink and curl up, about 2 minutes.
- Sprinkle with the lime juice, salt, and scallion greens. Gently mix together and serve from the skillet.