Recipe Courtesy of Chef Jared Tees, Besh Steak, New Orleans, LA
- Appetizer / Entrée
- Year Round
Ingredients for Shrimp
- 24 colossal (U-10) Gulf shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 cup Shrimp Base
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2 sticks butter
- 2 tablespoons freshly ground black pepper
- Hot French bread
Ingredients for Shrimp Base
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup shrimp peelings (heads, shells)
- 1 cup oyster liquor
- 1 cup Worcestershire sauce
- 1 1/2 tablespoons cracked black pepper
- 1 1/2 tablespoons Creole seasoning
- 1 whole clove garlic
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
Preparation Directions (video)
- Combine all ingredients in a 13-1/4" Cast Iron Skillet set over high heat and boil until shrimp are fully cooked and pink. Remove shrimp to a serving dish. Continue to reduce sauce until it is thick enough to coat the back of a spoon and is the color of melted milk chocolate.
- Saute shrimp peelings in olive oil until bright red. Add remaining ingredients and simmer. Reduce by half and strain through a chinois. Discard solids.
- Divide shrimp among 4 bowls and ladle sauce atop. Serve with hot French bread.