A classic fried chicken recipe that's a sure bet for when you need comfort food.
- Year Round
- 2 eggs
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 2 broiler fryer chickens (3 – 3-1/2 lb. each) cut up
- 1 cup shortening
And for the Milk Gravy
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup water
- 1/8 teaspoon browning sauce (optional)
- Fresh oregano (optional)
- In a medium bowl, beat eggs and milk. In another bowl, combine flour and seasonings.
- Dip chicken pieces in egg mixture, then in flour mixture.
- Melt shortening in a 12” Chicken Fryer; brown chicken on both sides.
- Cover and cook over low heat for 45 minutes or until juices run clear.
- Remove chicken from fryer; keep warm. Reserve ¼ cup drippings in fryer for gravy.
- To make gravy, stir flour, salt and pepper into reserved drippings in fryer. Cook and stir over medium heat for 5 minutes or until browned. Combine milk and water; add to fryer. Bring to a boil; boil and stir for 2 minutes. Add browning sauce if desired.
- Serve gravy with chicken. Garnish with oregano.