Recipe Courtesy of Chef Alon Shaya, Domenica, New Orleans, LA
- Year Round
Ingredients for Seafood Cannelloni
- 1/4 pound medium (31-35 count) Gulf shrimp, peeled, deveined and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1/4 pound jumbo lump Gulf crab meat, picked through
- 1/4 pound fresh Gulf fish fillets (grouper, redfish or drum) cut into 1/2-inch pieces, skin and bones removed
- 1 slice whole wheat bread, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- Zest of 1/4 lemon
- 2 dashes Tabasco sauce
- 1/4 pound ricotta cheese
- 1/4 pound burrata mozzarella
- 1/2 Tbs kosher salt
- 12 cooked cannelloni noodles
- 1 cup fresh bread crumbs
Ingredients for Leek Fonduta
- 2 Tbs olive oil
- 2 yellow onions, roughly chopped
- 1 rib celery, roughly chopped
- 1 leek, white part only, roughly chopped plus 1 leek, cleaned and cut into thin strips
- 1 clove garlic, roughly chopped
- 1 fennel stalk, roughly chopped
- 1 750 ml bottle dry vermouth
- 1 1/2 cups clear fish broth
- 1 quart heavy cream
Preparation Directions for Seafood Cannelloni
- Gently mix all ingredients, except noodles, bread crumbs, and Leek Fonduta, together.
- Stuff the cannelloni noodles with filling and place in an Enamel Oval Casserole dish.
- Spoon Leek Fonduta atop noodles and top with fresh bbread crumbs.
- Bake at 350ºF for 10 to 12 minutes or until sauce is lightly bubbling.
Preparation Directions for Leek Fonduta.
- Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil over medium-low heat. Add onion, celery, leek, garlic, and fennel and cook until vegetables are soft, about 10 minutes. Do not brown. Add vermouth, bring to a simmer and reduce by two-thirds.
- Add fish broth, bring back to a simmer and reduce by 1 cup. Add heavy cream and warm until steam starts to rise from the surface; do not simmer.
- Strain mixture through a fine strainer.
- Place leek strips in a clean sauce pan with remining olive oil and cook very slowly over low heat for 15 minutes or until leek is tender.
- Add cream sauce and simmer over low heat for 15 minutes.