Recipe Courtesy of Chef Adolfo Garcia, Rio Mar, New Orleans, LA
- Year Round
Ingredients for Tuna
- 2 pounds highest quality Gulf tuna steaks
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 4 tablespoons pimenton de la vera (Spanish smoked paprika)
- 1 tablespoon pomace olive oil, or as needed
Ingredients for Artichoke and Ham
- 1 tablespoon pomace olive oil
- 1 red onion, halved and cut into thin slices
- 3 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 6 slices Serrano ham cut into 1/8-inch jullienne strips
- 12 small baby artichokes, trimmed and quartered juice and zest of 1 lemon
- 3 tablespoons chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 4 tablespoons chopped flat-leaf parsley
Preparation Directions for Tuna
- Cut tuna into 4 even pieces and season with salt and pepper. Dust both sides lightly with pimenton de la vera. Coat bottom of a heavy cast iron pan with olive oil and place over high heat until oil shimmers.
- Add tuna steaks and sear on both sides until brown, about 1 minute per side. Lower heat to medium and cook until steaks are light brown 1/4-inch from top and bottom and red in the centers (but warm to the touch).
- Remove to a platter and allow to rest for 10 minutes.
Preparation Directions for Artichokes and Ham
- Heat oil in a 13-1/4" cast iron skillet over medium heat until it shimmers.
- Add onion and cook until translucent.
- Add garlic, ham, artichokes, and lemon juice. Cover and cook until artichokes are tender, about 7 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper. Garnish with parsley and lemon zest.
- Divide braised artichoke mixture and pan juices among 4 plates.
- Slice each tuna steak into 1/4-inch pieces and fan atop artichoke mixture.
- Drizzle each plate with extra virgin olive oil and finish with a sprinkle of parsley.