Recipe Courtesy of Chef Cory Bahr, Restaurant Sage, Monroe, LA
- Appetizer / Breakfast
Ingredients for Syrup
- 1-1/4 cups local honey
- 1/2 cup Steen's cane syrup
- 1/2 cup sherry vinegar
- 1/2 cup Makers Mark bourbon
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh ginger
- 1 teaspoon toasted cumin seeds
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped shallots
- 2 sticks cold unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
Ingredients for Flap Jacks
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1 cup flour
- 2 tablespoons freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup buttermilk
Ingredients for Pecans
- 1 cup Louisiana pecans
- 1/2 stick butter, melted
- 36 jumbo (U-10 count) Gulf shrimp, peeled and deveined, heads and tails left on
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- sprigs of fresh mint
- 2 cups arugula
- 1 pint Louisiana strawberries, washed, trimmed and sliced
Preparation Directions for Syrup
- Combine all ingredients except butter in a non-reactive (stainless steel) sauce pan over medium-high heat and cook until reduced by half. Add cold butter to reduction slowly and whisk to incorporate. Set aside in a warm place.
Preparation Directions for Flapjacks
- Sift dry ingredients together, add remaining ingredients and fold together. Set aside.
- Add tablespoons of batter a bit larger than a silver dollar to a nonstick skillet set over medium and cook until golden and light to the touch, turning once.
- Place on paper towels and keep warm.
Preparation Directions for Pecans
- Toss pecans in butter and season with salt and pepper.
- Sear on a hot grill for 2 minutes per side until shrimp are just opaque.
- For each serving, arrange a flapjack in the center of a plate.
- Divide strawberries, arugula, mint, and shrimp among flapjacks.
- Drizzle with syrup. Sprinkle with pecans.