Recipe Courtesy of Chef Chuck Subra, La Cote Brasserie, New Orleans, LA
- Soups & Stews
- 4 to 6
- Year Round
Ingredients for Biscuits
- 3/4 cup baked, pureed, Louisiana sweet potatoes
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1/2 stick butter (4 tablespoons)
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
Ingredients for Seafood Stew
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup diced onion
- 1/4 cup diced red bell pepper
- 1 tablespoons minced garlic
- 2 pounds large (21-25 count) Gulf shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 12 Gulf oysters, shucked
- 2 tablespoons Cajun seasoning
- 1/2 cup diced mirliton
- 1/2 cup Abita Amber beer
- 1 tablespoons Tabasco
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 cup shrimp stock
- 2 pounds Louisiana crawfish tails
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
Preparation Directions for Biscuits
- Preheat oven to 400ºF.
- In a large bowl mix sweet potatoes, sugar and butter.
- In a separate bowl mix flour, black pepper and salt. Combine the contents of the 2 bowls together and beat with stand mixer fitted with a dough hook attachment until thoroughly blended.
- Butter a baking sheet. Spoon 2 tablespoon portions of the dough, 1 inch apart, onto baking sheet. Bake for 12 to 15 minutes until lightly golden.
- Keep warm.
Preparation Directions for Seafood Stew
- Heat a 15" cast iron skillet over high heat. Add oil, onions, bell pepper and garlic. Saute for 2 minutes.
- Add shrimp, oysters, Cajun seasoning and mirtiton and cook until shrimp are half pink.
- Deglaze pan with Abita beer and reduce by half. Add shrimp stock, Tabasco, cream, Worcestershire and crawfish tails.
- Bring to simmer and cook for 2 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- For each serving cut a biscuit in half horizontally and place at the bottom of a soup bowl.
- Ladle stew over biscuit and top with remaining biscuit half.