Recipe Courtesy of Chef Brian Landry, Louisiana Seafood Promotion & Marketing Board
- Soups & Stews
- Year Round
Ingredients for Bisque
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 5 pounds Louisiana gumbo crabs
- 2 yellow onions, chopped
- 2 fennel bulbs, chopped and washed
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons tumeric
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon red chile flakes
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/2 cup brandy
- 2 gallons water
- 1-1/2 cups Blonde Roux (recipe follows)
- 2 cups heavy cream
- salt and white pepper to taste
- Tabasco sauce to taste
- Gulf crab claws or jumbo lump crabmeat, for garnish
Ingredients for Blonde Roux
- 3/4 cup vegetable oil
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
Preparation Directions (video)
- Heat olive oil in a large stock pot over medium heat.
- Crush gumbo crabs into small pieces with a rolling pin or a mixer with a paddle attachment.
- Add crabs to pot and saute for 15 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add onions, fennel, garlic, celery, tomato paste, tumeric, paprika, red chile flakes, and bay leave. Cook over medium heat until vegetables are tender, about 15 minutes.
- Deglaze pot with brandy and add water. Bring stock to a boil, reduce heat to medium and cook for 30 minutes.
- Strain soup through a fine strainer and return soup to a clean pot, reserving 1 cup. In a small mixing bowl, work 1/2 cup of reserved soup into half of the Blonde Roux; stir into soup. Repeat until all roux is incorporated into soup. Bring soup to a steady boil. Reduce heat to low and cook for 20 minutes.
- Heat cream in a separate pot set over medium heat. Once cream simmers, Add to soup.
- Add salt, white pepper, and Tabasco. Garnish each serving of soup with crab claws or jumbo lump crabmeat.
- Serve immediately.
Preparation Directions for Blonde Roux
- Heat oil in a heavy cast iron skillet over medium leat until it shimers.
- Whisk in flour, taking care to remove lumps.
- Cook, stirring constantly, until flour begins to color, about 8 to 10 mninutes.