DescriptionRecipe by Ross Sveback.
Excerpted from the Lodge Cast Iron Cookbook.
- 7 Cakes
- 2 lemons
- 1.5 cups sugar (superfine is best)
- 1.5 cups cake flour
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons dried lavender buds
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter at room temperature
- 3 large eggs
- 1/2 cup sour cream (regular, not light) at room temp.
- 1 teaspoon lemon extract
- Lavender sprigs for garnish
- Preheat the oven to 325º. Prepare a Lodge Mini Cake Pan by coating it with cooking spray and lightly flouring it.
- Zest the lemons and place zest in a large bowl with the sugar. Juice the lemons into a liquid measuring cup.
- Combine the flour, baking soda, salt, and lavender buds in a medium bowl.
- Add the butter to the sugar. Using and electric mixer on medium speed, cream them together, making sure to scrape down the bowl so that it is fully combined. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Reduce speed to slow and add the dry ingredients all at once, beating until well blended. Add the sour cream, lemon extract, and lemon juice, beating until blended.
- Divide the batter between the wells of the prepared pan and bake until a wooden toothpick inserted in the center of each comes our clean, 20 to 25 minutes. Let the cakes cool in the pan on a wire rack for 5 minutes. Remove the cakes from the pan and place on the rack until you are ready to serve.
- Garnish with lavender if you like.