Recipe Courtesy of Chef Drew Dzejak, The Grill Room, New Orleans, LA
- Year Round
Ingredients for Shrimp
- 3 cups Louisiana satsuma juice or freshly squeezed orange juice, in all 1 pound
- Extra large (16-20 count) Gulf shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 2 bulbs fennel, thinly shaved
- 2 teaspoons chile flakes
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
Ingredients for Mignonette
- 1 cup Louisiana satsuma or freshly squeezed orange juice
- 4 shallots, minced
- 1 bunch chives, minced
- 1/2 cup white balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
Preparation Directions for Shrimp
- In a medium saucepot set over medium heat bring 2 cups juice to a simmer.
- Add shrimp and cook until pink, 4 to 5 minutes.
- Strain and discard liquid. Chill shrimp for 1 hour.
- Place fennel in bowl with remaining juice.
- Season with chile flakes, salt and pepper.
- Marinate for 30 minutes.
Preparation Directions for Mignonette
- Combine juice with shallots, chives, vinegar, olive oil, sugar, salt and pepper.
- Mix well and allow flavors to marry for 30 minutes.
- Divide fennel salad among 4 plates.
- Toss shrimp with half of citrus mignonette and divide evenly over salads.
- Drizzle citrus mignonette over salads.