Recipe Courtesy of Chef Susan Spicer, Bayona, New Orleans, LA
- Year Round
Ingredients for Shrimp
- 16 large (16-20 count) Gulf shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon chopped garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
Ingredients for Sauce
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped shallots
- 1 teaspoon orange zest (no pith)
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 2 tablespoons sherry wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1-1/2 sticks butter, softened
- 1 tablespoon chopped cilantro salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
Ingredients for Black Bean Cake
- 1/2 pound black beans, soaked at least 2 hours or overnight; drained
- 1 small green bell pepper or poblano, chopped
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 jalapeño pepper, chopped
- 1 teaspoon garlic minced
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour
Preparation Directions for Shrimp (video)
- Toss shrimp with olive oil, garlic, salt, pepper, and spices.
- Thread 4 on each skewer and set aside.
- In small saucepot or saucepan, place chopped shallots, orange, zest, ground coriander, orange juice, wine, and vinegar.
- Simmer over medium heat until liquid is reduced to 2 - 3 tablespoons. While still hot, whisk in softened butter by tablespoonful until sauce is emulsified (thick and creamy).
- Stir in chopped cilantro and season with salt and pepper. Keep warm, but not hot.
- Cook black beans in water until tender. Meanwhile, sauté onion, peppers, and garlic over medium heat for 2 to 3 minutes and add to beans in pot.
- Add all other ingredients. Season with salt and stir frequently until beans have absorbed water and start to break down.
- Drain cooked beans, reserving liquid. Purée in a food processor and spread bean paste onto a baking sheet.
- Dry in a low oven until beans are dry enough to form into cakes without sticking to your hands.
- When cool, form beans into cakes, dist fith flour, and sauté in oil to crisp on both sides. Keep warm while cooking the shrimp.
- Serve with a dollop of sour cream and a sprig of cilantro.
- Broil or grill shrimp 2 to 3 minutes on each side until just cooked through.
- Nap with warm Coriander Sauce and serve with Black Bean Cake.