Recipe Courtesy of Chef Minh Le, Spahr's Seafood, Houma, LA
- Appetizer / Soup
- 6 to 8
- Year Round / Brunch
Ingredients for Soup
- 3 slices bacon cut into small pieces
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 medium onion, diced 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 3 cups diced Yukon gold or baking potatoes
- 1 quart chicken stock
- 2 teaspoons salt pinch cayenne pepper
- 1 cup heavy cream liquor drained from
- 1 pint Gulf oysters fresh herbs - thyme, chives, parsley - of choice
Ingredients for Oysters
- 1 quart oil for fryin
- 1 pint Gulf oysters, drained, liquor reserved
- Louisiana style hot sauce
- Pre-packaged fish fry of choice
Preparation Directions for Soup (video)
- Place a gallon-sized stockpot over medium heat. Add bacon and render until crispy.
- Drain on paper towels. Set aside.
- Add butter and onions to stockpot and saute until onions are sof
- Add garlic, potatoes, chicken stock and seasonings. Increase heat to high. Bring to a boil and cook until potatoes are soft, about 25 minutes.
- Add heavy cream and oyster liquor and return to a boil for 4 minutes. Puree soup with an immersion blender until smooth.
- Ladle soup into bowls and top each with 3 or 4 oysters. Garnish with reserved bacon and fresh herbs.
Preparation Directions for Oysters
- Heat oil to 350ºF. Coat oysters with hot sauce and salt to taste.
- Place 2 or 3 oysters at a time in fish fry and coat them thoroughly before adding to hot oil. Cook until crispy.
- Drain on paper towels. Note: Soup may be made 1 day in advance. Oysters must be cooked immediately before serving.