DescriptionExcerpted from "Barbecue Biscuits and Beans" by Bill Cauble and Cliff Teinert – Bright Sky Press
These petit poultry are packed with flavor and juices. The crispy skin and tender meat can't be topped. Substitute with quail when available.
- 4 to 8
- Year Round
- 4 game hens
- 1 1/2 cups chopped yellow onions
- 1 fresh pineapple, chopped
- 1 cup golden raisins
- 2 cups pineapple juice
- 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1/2 cup butter
- 3 tablespoons flour
- Thoroughly wash the birds.
- Brown whole birds on medium hot grill or in a skillet for 15 to 20 minutes, turning once.
- Melt butter in a large Dutch oven, and sauté onions until soft.
- Add fresh pineapple, golden raisins, pineapple juice and vinegar. Simmer 5 to 10 minutes.
- Add birds, breast up. Cover and cook slowly 25 to 30 minutes.
- Add chicken stock and simmer additional 45 minutes.
- Remove birds and keep warm.
- Mix flour with remains to make gravy. Dissolve the flour in 1 cup cold water, then stir into simmering chicken stock mixture. Simmer 5 minutes.
- Serve hot gravy with the birds.