DescriptionSubmitted by Erin Renouf Mylroie
Erin Renouf Mylroie of Santa Clara, UT took second place at the national cornbread cookoff with this great recipe.
- Biscuits & Breads
- Year Round
Ingredients for Cornbread
- Crisco® No-Stick Cooking Spray
- 1 (6.5 oz.) package Martha White® Yellow Cornbread and Muffin Mix
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 3/4 cup green (tomatillo) salsa
- 1-1/2 cups shredded cooked chicken
- 1/4 teaspoon chipotle chili powder
- 1/2 cup chopped green onions
- 1 (4 oz.) can diced green chilies
- 1-1/2 cups shredded pepper jack cheese
- 1/2 cups coarsely crushed corn chips
Ingredients for Slaw
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 avocado, mashed
- Juice and peel of one lime
- 3 cups shredded cabbage
- 1 cup minced cilantro
- Salt and pepper
Suggestions for Toppings
- 1 cup chopped tomatoes
- 1 cup coarsely crushed corn chips
- Heat oven to 400°F. Spray 10-1/4" cast iron skillet with no-stick cooking spray. Stir together cornbread mix, egg and salsa in medium bowl until well blended.
- Stir in chicken, chili powder, green onions, green chilies and 1 cup cheese. Pour into prepared skillet. Sprinkle with remaining cheese and 1/2 cup corn chips. Bake 20 to 25 minutes or until golden brown.
- While cornbread is baking, combine sour cream, avocado, lime juice and peel. Stir in cabbage and cilantro. Mix well. Salt and pepper to taste.
- Slice cornbread into six wedges. Top each slice with slaw, tomatoes, and corn chips.