Recipe Courtesy of Chef Chris Lusk, Café Adelaide, New Orleans, LA
- Appetizer / Entrée
- Year Round
Ingredients for Oysters
- 1 bag ZAPP'S Crawtator Chips
- 2 cups instant potato flakes
- 1/8 cup Creole seasoning
- 1 cup Panko bread crumbs
- 25 Gulf oysters (shucked and picked free of shells)
- Oil for frying salt and pepper to taste
Ingredients for Red Bean Gravy
- 1 stick butter
- 4 pieces sliced bacon, cut into small strips
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 1 bell pepper, diced
- 2 cups half and half
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 2 cups cooked red beans
- 1/4 tablespoon fresh thyme, chopped
- 1/4 tablespoon fresh oregano, chopped
- 1 tablespoon Louisiana-style hot sauce
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 teaspoons Creole
- Seasoning salt and pepper to taste
Preparation Directions for Oysters
- Combine chips, instant potatoes, Creole seasoning, and Panko in a food processor and process to fine consistency.
- Heat oil in a 5 qt. Dutch oven to 350ºF. Dredge oysters in Panko mixture and deep fry until golden brown, about 1 to 1 1/2 minutes.
- Drain fried oysters on paper towels and season with salt and pepper.
- Serve with Red Bean Gravy to dip.
Preparation Directions for Red Bean Gravy
- Melt butter in 12" deep skillet over medium heat. Add bacon and cook until crispy.
- Add onion, garlic, celery, and bell pepper. Cook until onions are translucent, 8 to 10 minutes. Stir in flour.
- Add half-and-half and chicken stock. Bring to simmer and reduce heat to low; add red beans and cook for 20 minutes on low heat.
- Add thyme, oregano, hot sauce, Worcestershire sauce, and Creole seasoning. Purée ingredients in blender until smooth.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.