DescriptionSubmitted by Jamie Martin
Jamie Martin, of Madison, AL, took Third Place at the 2009 National Cornbread Festival Cook-Off with this great dish.
- Biscuits & Breads, Soups & Stews
- Year Round
Ingredients for Soup
- 1 tablespoon Crisco® Canola Oil
- 3/4 lb. fresh chorizo sausage, casings removed
- 3/4 lb. boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup sliced celery
- 1 cup sliced carrots
- 1 poblano pepper, seeded, stemmed and diced
- 1-1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons Crisco® Canola Oil
- 1/4 cup Martha White® All-Purpose Flour
- 1 (14.5 oz.) can fire roasted diced tomatoes (or regular diced tomatoes)
- 6 cups low-sodium chicken stock
Ingredients for Dumplings
- 1 (6.5 oz) package Martha White® Yellow Cornbread mix
- Peel of 1 lime
- 2 links (about 6 oz.) Mexican chorizo sausage, casings remove
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro, coarsely chopped
Suggestions for Topping
- Sour cream
- Chopped Avocado
- Chopped Cilantro and lime wedges
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a cast iron 5-quart deep skillet with glass cover, over medium heat. Add chorizo. Cook 2 to 3 minutes, using back of a spoon to break into pieces.
- Add chicken. Cook 2 minutes. Add onion, celery, carrots, poblano pepper and salt. Cook 3 to 4 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add garlic. Cook for 1 minute. Add 2 tablespoons oil. Stir in flour. Cook 1 minute. Add tomatoes and chicken stock. Stir well, making sure to scrape all of the bits off bottom of pot. Cover. Bring to a boil for 10 minutes. Uncover. Simmer 15 to 20 minutes.
- Stir together cornbread mix, lime peel, milk, sour cream and cilantro in medium bowl. Mixture will be thick. Set aside 10 minutes to ensure liquid is absorbed into cornmeal. Drop by tablespoonfuls into simmering soup.
- Cover and cook 8 to 10 minutes, or until puffed and firm. To serve, spoon a couple dumplings into each bowl and ladle soup around the dumplings. Garnish with sour cream, cilantro, avocado and a squeeze of lime juice.