DescriptionSubmitted by Gaynell Lawson
Gaynell Lawson, of Maryville, TN, took Second Place at the 2009 National Cornbread Festival Cook-Off with this great cornbread recipe.
- Biscuits & Breads
- Year Round
Ingredients for Cornbread
- Crisco® No-Stick Cooking Spray
- 1 large egg
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 1(6.5 oz.) pkg. Martha White® Yellow Cornbread Mix
- 2 tablespoon melted butter
- 1 cup fresh or frozen corn kernels, thawed
- 1 (2.25 oz.) can sliced black olives, drained
Ingredients for Gravy
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup diced onion
- 2 links (about 6 oz.) Mexican chorizo sausage, casings remove
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons Martha White® All-Purpose Flour
- 2 cups milk
- 1 cup diced tomatoes, fresh or canned and drained
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
Suggestions for Garnishes
- Chopped green onion
- diced avocado
- crumbled tortilla chips
- chopped tomatoes and/or sliced fresh limes
- Heat oven to 400° F. Spray 9-inch cast iron wedge pan generously with no-stick cooking spray.* Place in oven 6 to 7 minutes or until hot. Beat egg in large bowl. Add buttermilk, cornbread mix, 2 tablespoons melted butter, corn and olives. Mix thoroughly. Pour evenly into wedges in hot pan. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, or until golden brown. Remove from oven and keep warm.
- 2. Meanwhile, melt 2 tablespoons butter in 10-1/4" cast iron skillet over medium heat. Add onion and cook until translucent, about 3 to 4 minutes. Crumble chorizo in skillet. Cook 4 to 5 minutes, or until brown. Remove mixture to small bowl. Set aside. Wipe out skillet with paper towel.
- Return skillet to medium heat. Melt 3 tablespoons butter. Add flour. Whisk until mixture is golden. Add milk, tomatoes and paprika. Whisk about 3 minutes, or until thickened. Add chorizo mixture to gravy.
- To serve, place a wedge of cornbread on each plate, topped with 1/2 cup of chorizo tomato gravy. Garnish as desired. Makes 8 Servings.
* Cornbread may be baked in 10-1/4" cast iron skillet sprayed with no-stick cooking spray. Bake 20 to 25 minutes, or until golden brown. Cut into wedges.