DescriptionExcerpted From Cast Iron Cooking By Dwayne Ridgaway
The sweetness of caramelized onions adds a delicious flavor to the combination of Black Forest ham and Gruyere cheese. Soften your butter and combine with Gorgonzola cheese ahead of time so the flavors have time to intensify.
- Year Round
- 2 red onions, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, plus 4 tablespoons softened
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh tarragon
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh-leaf parsley
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper
- 4 tablespoons crumbled Gorgonzola cheese, softened
- 4 crusty Italian rolls, sliced in half horizontally
- 1 pound Black Forest ham, thinly sliced
- 8 slices Gruyere cheese
- In a well-seasoned 8" cast iron skillet heat 2 tablespoons of the butter over medium-high heat. Add the onion and cook for 2 minutes, turning, until tender.
- Reduce heat to low, sprinkle onion with sugar, salt, and black pepper, and cook for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally, until well caramelized.
- Remove from heat and toss with tarragon and parsley; set aside to cool. Using 2 tablespoons of softened butter, brush the outsides of each roll half with butter.
- Using a fork, combine the remaining 2 tablespoons of softened butter with Gorgonzola cheese into a smooth spread. Spread the insides of each roll half with the Gorgonzola spread. Add caramelized onion mixture to each sandwich, dividing evenly.
- Top each with one-quarter of the ham, then layer with the Gruyere cheese. Top with remaining roll half and place on a hot grill pan. Press with a hot panini press, cooking on both sides for 7 minutes, until the cheese is melted. Remove and serve hot.