DescriptionSubmitted by Lori Stephens
This recipe took first place at the 2010 National Cornbread Cookoff at the National Cornbread Festival.
- Biscuits & Breads
- Year Round
Ingredients for Cornbread
- 2 (6.5 oz.) packages Martha White® Yellow Cornbread and Muffin Mix
- 1/2 cup Martha White® All-Purpose Flour
- 1-1/2 cup mil
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1 large egg
- 3 tablespoons chopped chives
- 8 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 3/4 cup crumbled gorgonzola cheese
Ingredients for Fillings
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 medium yellow onion, sliced into rings
- 1-1/2 pounds ground chuck
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup Italian style bread crumbs
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 12 small slices medium Cheddar cheese (1/2 ounce each)
Ingredients for Chipotle Mayo
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1 chipotle pepper in adobo sauce, chopped with 1 teaspoon of the sauce
- Heat oven to 400°F. Spray 2 cast iron straight-sided muffin pans with no-stick cooking spray. Stir together cornbread mix, flour, milk, sour cream, and egg in medium bowl until well blended. Stir in chives, bacon, and cheese. Pour into prepared muffin cups. Bake 10 to 12 minutes or until golden brown.
- Melt butter in a 12-inch cast iron skillet over medium-low heat. Add onions. Cook until onions are translucent, 8 to 10 minutes. Remove onions and set aside.
- Combine ground chuck, egg, bread crumbs, garlic, salt, and pepper in large bowl. Blend well. Divide into 12 equal portions. Pat out into thin burgers. Cook in 12-inch cast iron skillet over medium to medium-high heat until done. Top each burger with slice of cheese.
- Combine mayonnaise, chipotle pepper and sauce. Slice cornbread to make buns. Spread thin layer of chipotle mayo on top and bottom. Place burger on bottom halves. Top with onions. Place top on burger.